PART 1 - TEACHING THE SONG
- Ask the students to stand in a circle.
- You can give the text at this point or teach without text and introduce it later on cards.
- Listen to the song line by line and find an appropriate gesture or action for the line.
- Teach each line through repetition and gestures.
- Then the class repeats your words and movements.
- Finish the first four lines then go back and sing them as a chunk.
- You can focus on linking and correct pronunciation at this point.
- Now do the same with the next four lines of the song.
- Keep the lesson moving along in order to maintain enthusiasm.
PART 2 - REINFORCING THE SONG
- In the circle, give each group of three students a line to sing using both words and actions.
- Rotate lines between groups, so everyone gets three or four opportunities to sing.
- Next divide the class into two groups, so each group sings their lines in turn or alternate lines.
- Divide the group into males and females. Each group sings two or three lines in turn.
- Finally sing the whole song together.
- By this point students will have practised the song many times in different combinations and will have a good grasp of lyrics and pronunciation features AND they will have had fun
It is not important for the teacher to be a good singer as the students will pick up the melody quickly.
Please email us if you have any feedback on our resources, or comments on teaching English.